The 2013 conference will provide a unique opportunity for local government policy-makers and practitioners.
• HE President Yoweri
Museveni, President of Uganda
• Rt Hon Helen Clark, Administrator,
• Dr Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN-Habitat
• Dr Richard Sezibera, Secretary-General, East African Community
Yoweri Museveni will open the conference on 14 May 2013.
Outline programme for
conference and related events
The 2013 Commonwealth local government conference will:
- provide a high level forum for the discussion of the status of decentralisation around the world with a view to identifying good practice and international knowledge-sharing
- influence policy and international thinking on the post-2015 global agenda, focusing on poverty reduction and ensure efficient provision of local services
- position local government to be an active partner in the post-2015 debate, notably as regards issues of well-being and social inclusion
- engage directly with international development partners, including inputting into the UN consultation on the global development agenda and into the 2013 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.