Tuesday 22 June 2010

Letter from the Bill Clinton Foundation

Dear Friend,

As I make my 11th trip to Africa, I've committed to raising $150,000 for our life-saving work.




Support my Foundation's work in Africa and around the world, and I'll match your gift dollar for dollar.

When I made my first trip to sub-Saharan Africa in 1998, I saw the people of Uganda working to turn the tide of AIDS. I saw citizens once divided by apartheid working together to build democracy in South Africa. I saw women across the continent starting businesses. And I felt a strong connection to all of humanity and the future we share.

This experience left an indelible mark on my life and my presidency and continues to inspire my Foundation's work in Africa. This week, I am making my 11th trip to the continent.

There has been incredible progress made since my first visit, but persistent, daunting, and systemic challenges remain, threatening long-term growth and prosperity.

Since 2002, my Foundation has been working to give people in Africa the tools to lift themselves from poverty and build a brighter future for their children and grandchildren. But we need the commitment from generous individuals like you to keep this work going. That is why I am personally pledging $150,000 to match your gift and double the good work that we can accomplish together.

Will you support the Clinton Foundation's lifesaving work?

I've set a goal of raising $150,000 before the end of my trip on June 28 -- and will match every dollar you give to help get us there.

My Foundation brings a unique business approach to sustainable development that is creating a meaningful difference for millions of lives across Africa and around the world. You can see the results of some of the projects that your support helps make possible below:
Planting 1.9 million trees through community reforestation programs in Malawi
Constructing a 120-bed Neno District Hospital and 23 staff houses in the remote Neno hills area of Malawi
Establishing rainwater harvesting and latrine programs at 12 schools in Rwanda, providing 15,000 children with modern latrines and stored water for hand-washing
Helping 6,500 coffee farmers develop their company, Rwandan Farmers Coffee Company Ltd, into a profitable enterprise
I work in Africa because I want to help keep people from dying before their time. I want to help these countries -- so full of hope and life -- reach their promise. But I can't do it without your support.

Make a donation to my Foundation by June 28, and I'll match your gift with one of my own.

With each trip to Africa, I continue to learn and grow. I meet remarkable individuals who tell me how their lives have improved because of our support. As I return to Africa, I hope you'll join me in making a commitment to creating opportunity and a better future for generations to come.

Thank you for your commitment.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Clinton Foundation seeks to address some of the world's more pressing challenges -- from global climate change to extreme poverty -- through collaborative and systematic effort.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William J. Clinton Foundation • 55 West 125th St. • New York, NY 10027

No comments: