Thursday 15 November 2007

A small gesture, but

A small gesture, but…

During the past twelve months, I have gone to do political work in Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique. It is my practical way of doing my bit for the Third World. I try to help with democracy building, encourage transparency, improved Parliamentary procedures and accountability and encouraging civil society.
Last summer in the middle of Mozambique, I witnessed some sports displays – for example, three brilliant gymnasts who had no equipment to improve their standards on. There was a universal love of international football. The local MP, Manuel de Arajuo, handed out a few footballs and football shirts. The look of joy on the young recipients’ faces was indescribable.
It led to my Parliamentary colleague, Hugh Robertson, with whom I was travelling, securing for them many more footballs from the Football Association – they are now being despatched.
In amongst all the problems in the rural African community we saw – lack of education, health and transport facilities – there will soon be a group of young Mozambicans who will be ecstatic. It is a small gesture, but it will thrill and delight beyond description.

No comments: